Thursday, April 27, 2017

R7



These selfies show my ethnicity as caucasian American.  What they do not reveal is the fact that my mother is first generation and I am actually half Brazilian.  My grandparents met in Brazil and immigrated here a few years before my mother was born.  Just based off of a these photos people would assume my family origins are from with the United States as I have a fairly pale complexion.

As far as gender goes in these selfies you can tell I am a male and based off of the outfits I am wearing one can also assume I identify as a male.  Both of these assumptions are correct.

Sexuality is not really shown in either of the photos in anyway.  Two of the photos are with friends of mine, and one is solo.  I do not believe any of these photos give indication about my sexuality in anyway.  If I posted a kissing selfie with an ex girlfriend or something, then one would be able to assume my sexuality.

As far as cultural groups and identity one can tell that I am a young person and that I am fairly social as these selfies depict two different friends I am hanging out, and close enough with that I took a selfie with them, something I do not do too often.

I think personal aspect of identity are only revealed when chosen in selfies.  I could have posted a picture kissing a girl, or with the Brazilian flag to show my sexuality and my heritage but I chose not to.  The wonderful thing about a selfie is it is up to the subject to include whatever it is they want to include in the picture.

This can have a direct impact on how people see and view me as a lot of people from my past I only keep up with on social media sites.  While I do not post selfies often, when I do that must provide a sort of snap shot of how I'm doing to those who do not see me often.  This makes up their perception of me, and really shows the power of social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment