Wednesday, April 5, 2017

R5 Jason Kelly

The more importance and time we give to social media throughout the day, the more entwined it becomes with our sense of self and personality.  This phenomenon can be seen as subjectivation.  Tim Rayner, author of "Foucalt and social media: life in virtual panopticon", reflects, "Seen from a Foucaultian perspective, social media is more than a vehicle for exchanging information. Social media is a vehicle for identity-formation. Social media involves ‘subjectivation’"(Rayner).

Further more he concludes, "A Foucaultian perspective on social media targets the mechanism that makes it tick: sharing. Sharing is basic to social media. Sharing content is not just a neutral exchange of information, however. Mostly, when we share content on social media services, we do it transparently, visibly, that is in the presence of a crowd. The act of sharing is a performance, to an extent – it a performative act, an act that does something in the world, as J.L. Austin would say. This is important. The performative aspect of sharing shapes the logic and experience of the act itself."

This is what really clues into what subjectivation is.  In using social media and engaging with it users share thoughts, articles, images, and other digital content with one another in a communicative way.  This sharing, and the process of choosing what to share, what content to engage with, and how to engage with these various social platforms is in it self subjectivation.  No longer is it just basic use of a website, social media requires the user to make choices in a way that reflects their personality.

I am personally someone who is really into technology, specifically social media, and cellphones.  In using social media often times I'll share articles, like the one below.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15189148/facebook-stories-friends-ghosts-news-feed-snapchat

This article was something I found interesting, a reflection on "Facebook Stories", and its success, or lack there of.  Typically I share this kind of thing because I find it interesting, and hope others will too.  Being more informed and up to date on these kinds of things, I often hear about betas before actual releases of features like this, I am not too surprised when Facebook announces features like stories and hope that sharing articles like the one above help explain to other what I already know.

Another subject I find myself talking about with others is movies, specifically movie ratings and reviews.  Usually I will find an article I agree with, in terms of a review of the movie, and I will share that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/kong-skull-island-review

This will usually open up a dialogue with others about the movie, often I end up having a good conversation with facebook friends I don't normally talk to very much.  I attribute this to the popularity of movies and the passion they can bring out in people.

What does this say about my identity?  Well, both pretty much say the same thing, I have my interests and I like talking about them.  When I go out of my way to share something on Facebook its typically to start a dialogue or discussion about whatever it is I shared.  While some people may post for "likes" or compliments, that is not something I'm as interested with when using social media.  I am more interested in social media as a tool for communication, and in having that interest I believe my social media habits directly reflect that.

Rayner, Tim. "Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon." Philosophy for Change. N.p., 11 Nov. 2012. Web. 04 Apr. 2017. <https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment