Thursday, April 6, 2017

R5: Sharing & Subjectivity

I think of subjectivity as the way we perform in the public sphere, or in this case, online based on how we understand our place in the world. This is similar to Rayner’s explanation of how the Internet is just a virtual Panopticon.

There is a self-reflexive structure to sharing content on Facebook or Twitter. Just as actors on stage know that they are being watched by the audience and tailor their behaviour to find the best effect, effective use of social media implies selecting and framing content with a view to pleasing and/or impressing a certain crowd” (Rayner).

Social media is such a huge part of my life. There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t share something. There’s no excuse not to, especially because it’s been made so easy! With that being said, I am cautious about where I share things, and as a result have shaped all of my social media to be small representations of my life. On Facebook, where I have a lot of family members as friends who can see my activity, I appear very socially minded and up-to-date on current events. This is due to the fact that I rarely share personal posts on Facebook, but share 2-4 news stories daily. In contrast, more personal posts are shared on Instagram, where my account is private, and I have more control over who sees the content I post.

Links I would post on social media
I actually posted this story today on Facebook, because I’ve seen pictures of the Hello Kitty Cafe Truck in LA and it’s one of the places I want to eat at before I die (but won’t be disappointed if I don’t cross it off my list). I typically share posts like this so it looks like I don’t spend every weekend doing homework.

This isn’t an article, but it’s definitely something I wouldn’t hesitate to share. I love seeing women shut men down in the workplace!

Links I wouldn’t post on social media
I wouldn’t share the DCist’s monthly horoscope on social media. Only because astrology is my fun nonsense hobby, and I don’t really see the need to share it (even though I read it semi-religiously).

I also wouldn’t share this article because, well, it’s about golf. I’ve always found golf to be boring (the opposite of me). I wouldn’t share something sports-related if it's not a meme, because I also don’t really understand sports.

Sources:
Kurzius, Rachel. "Your Sh!tty D.C. Horoscope For April: DCist." DCist. Last modified April 3, . http://dcist.com/2017/04/your_shitty_dc_horoscope_for_april.php.
Rayner, Tim. "Foucault and social media: life in a virtual panopticon." Philosophy for change. November 11, 2012. Accessed April 05, 2017. https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/.
Sturdivant, Christina. "Hello Kitty Cafe Truck Is Stopping At Pentagon Row On Saturday: DCist." DCist. Last modified April 5, 2017. http://dcist.com/2017/04/hello_kitty_truck_pentagon.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment