Wednesday, April 5, 2017

R5: Subjectivation

Social media is a vehicle for identity-formation (Rayner). When I think of subjectivation in relation to social media I consistently think of images. I understand social media to be a display of our curated lives.We hone our view on the world, and in the process, define ourselves as persons, identities, and subjects( Rayner). We reveal our views and tastes through social media and we can change if we like, but we place ourselves as the watchers of whats interesting. 
I share quite a bit of articles through my Facebook..


This article I have shared and would continue to share to as many people as I could. I have always identified as black woman and as I continue to get older, the works from my community mean the world to me. I intend on becoming a producer and so seeing James Baldwin's works being turned into a documentary and bringing awareness to his writings as well as the history of the black community has been inspirational for me.


As I stated, I identify as a black woman. I feel comfortable in sharing pieces that touch me or that have voice for marginalized groups, even ones I don't share in completely. Over the past year I have continued to share articles that have been uplifting instead of hateful from either side of the aisle. I would say maybe two years ago I would have struggled to say anything from either because I wasn't paying attention and I like to be informed before I begin shouting anything...even whispering. I am an activist now more than ever and I identify as one very easily.



On to the hard part...

I'm not sure if anyone who's reading this read 13 Reasons Why or watched the series on Netflix but this book was incredibly important to me as kid. I myself wasn't bullied severely, but I have had situations as I got older with bullying over boys and I reminded myself to always be kind, I tried to put myself in the place of bully. These are moments in my life I don't like to be public about because its my personal experience. I still made a point to encourage people to watch it, but theres a difficulty talking about any situation where a person is singled out. 

I don't post a lot about how obsessed I am with healthy foods. That's really my private interest, I've always had my weight fluctuating and I've been working hard on developing a healthy lifestyle. Everyone always has an opinion or knows something else but no one knows my body like I do, so to keep people from influencing my health decisions I just save my research myself.

I'm not giving you one of my favorite links...I'm giving a generic one lol




Scott, A. O. "Review: ‘I Am Not Your Negro’ Will Make You Rethink Race." The New York Times. The New York Times, 02 Feb. 2017. Web. 05 Apr. 2017. <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/movies/review-i-am-not-your-negro-review-james-baldwin.html?_r=1>.

Vagianos, Alanna. "Read The Women's March On Washington's Beautifully Intersectional Policy Platform." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 17 Jan. 2017. Web. 05 Apr. 2017. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/read-the-womens-march-on-washingtons-beautifully-intersectional-policy-platform_us_5878e0e8e4b0e58057fe4c4b>.

Park, Alice. "Immunotherapy May Treat This Deadly Breast Cancer." Time. Time, 3 Apr. 2017. Web. 05 Apr. 2017. <http://time.com/4721371/immunotherapy-triple-negative-breast-cancer/>.

Scheff, Sue. "Libraries Transform: 13 Reasons Why Book Club | The Huffington Post." The Huffington Post. The Huffington Post, 5 Apr. 2017. Web. 5 Apr. 2017. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/libraries-transform-13-reasons-why-book-club_us_58e4e33de4b02ef7e0e6e253>.

Rayner, Tim. "Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon." Philosophy for Change. WordPress, 11 Nov. 2012. Web. 05 Apr. 2017. <https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment