Thursday, April 27, 2017

R7: Portrait of the (Anti)Slick

In the digital age, taking a selfie is one of the primary ways we communicate our identity to others as it allows us to have absolute control over the image produced. Given this control though we are able to present ourselves however we want to even if it is not an authentic representation of our identity.

This is actually the first selfie I ever took and that is my genuine
reaction to my succumbing to this cultural norm.
With this in mind I would say that my selfies offer a good representation of who I am: a white middle-class guy who likes to joke around. As you may be able to tell by my three selfies here I am (1) white and (2) male, but like the late, great Prince they are all sexually ambiguous (unless someone mistook my dad as one with sugar). What may be harder to discern is my socio-economic status as none of the pictures really provide the viewer with any hard evidence of my being middle-class. The kayaking picture may even imply that I am one of those good 'ol boys, partaking in some outdoor adventure, but this assumption would be wrong.

What is also not shown is that my family does have strong Norwegian ties, me being only a third generation Norwegian-American. Their is a fair amount of Norway related stuff around my house and we always try to watch the country's athletes participate in world sports like the Olympics.

Somali Pirates with Dad.
What is shown though is that I am someone who enjoys outdoor activities like kayaking and hanging out with their dad given the expression on both of our faces. I think people will be able to tell that family is very important to me, otherwise wouldn't even take such a picture. People will also be able to tell that I am a basketball fan since I am wearing a jersey and holding a basketball. What they won't be able to tell though is how bad I am.

Heard Trump is paying $82/hr to lay bricks.
I think what is most visible about my selfies is that they are humorous more often than not as I don't take myself seriously at all. This is significant to how others see me because I'm usually very quiet around others, so they wouldn't know that I do have a sense of humor and love to make people laugh. Selfies are a good way for me to get my real identity across to others though as they allow so much freedom in how you want yourself to be seen. Generally if I am making some sort of face in the picture I am representing myself in an authentic way as I am using my sense of humor to poke fun at something, but mainly myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment