Thursday, April 6, 2017

R5: Subjectivation and Social Media

             Subjectivation of oneself, as Foucault describes it, is one’s heightened awareness of who sees them and judges them, and that people’s actions are based off the feeling that they are always being watched.  Although Foucault died before the age of social media, his analogy to people’s social actions as a panoptical prison fits perfectly into the conversation of one’s image on social media today.  In the panopticon prison, all the prisoners’ cells are placed circularly about a central guard tower where the prison cells are all visible to the central tower, but the guards in the tower are not visible to the prisoners.  The idea behind this was to keep the prisoners on their toes and, hopefully, induce good behavior based on the idea that they were always under surveillance.  The idea of social media as a reverse panopticon fits perfectly into the conversation.  The reverse panopticon idea places the prisoners, or users, in the central tower that is visible to the outside cells, which contains other users, whose contents are not visible to the central tower. This idea, asserted by Martin in “Taking the High Road” still makes the user feel like they are constantly under surveillance, but now instead of there being a small chance of being watched, it is likely, and almost certain, that the user in the central tower is being watched, and by many.  This idea shapes how users of social media share content and create their own content, because the feeling of being watched makes them present information in a specific way that will enhance their experience and their likability. 
            As of late, the terms alternative facts and fake news have been thrown around quite a bit.  And I think that when Rayner describes the act of sharing on social media as a performance in “Foucault and social media: life in a virtual panopticon” the image of ourselves that we put out can sometimes be described as alternative facts in the sense that we sometimes try to spice things up, or leave things out, when posting while not lying to our followers.  For instance, there are certain things that I would not intend to share about myself on social media, but that does not mean that it doesn’t exist in my life or define me in some way.  For instance, no one wants to be a downer on social media.  Often social media is an escape from stress and anxiety, so normally I would not post something about having family issues or advice: http://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/issues/family-problems. For me personally, I would rather talk to a friend or family member privately about something like this as opposed to sharing it on social media.  Another touchy subject that may rub people the wrong way are political issues and how each person feels about an issue.  I wouldn’t post an link like this, http://election2016.psu.edu/category/hot-button-issues/ that contains a few current issues and make comments on them on social media, because typically this can start a Facebook fight or “Twitter war” all too easily.  That is not to say that either of these types of content hold no value with me personally, but they are things that I choose to talk about privately with those who I trust. 

            In contrast to things that I would not choose to share on social media, there are things that I certainly would like people to know about myself.  For one, this year was different for me and my fellow teammates on the lacrosse team here at UMBC because we hired a new coaching staff for this season.  Being anxious and interested on things to come for us, this would be something that I would share on my social media to clue in some of my friends and followers to our progress: http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/fall-all-access-umbc/36385.  Aside from that, as a student that is nearing graduation I would expect some of my loyal followers to be interested in my plans after graduating if they were to wonder what I may end up doing.  Although I am not exactly sure of the road ahead just yet, I have an idea.  As a math major I am interested in potentially working in data analytics for companies, and as someone that reads blogs from the site Barstool Sports quite frequently, this link is one that tells a lot about me https://www.wsj.com/articles/barstool-sports-new-ceo-on-the-power-of-a-small-but-rabid-audience-1470857033.  It is an article with a link to listen to the Wall Street Journal Podcast with the Barstool Sports CEO Erika Nardini as she speaks on the importance of data in growing companies. 

Sources:

Martin, C. Dianne, “The Internet as Reverse Panopticon,” ACM Inroads, 4(1) March 2013, http://inroads.acm.org/article.cfm?aid=2432599   (viewed 8/5/14)

Rayner, Tim, “Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon (pt.1), I Tweet, Therefore I Become (pt. 2), and The Call of the Crowd (pt. 3),” Philosophy for Change, 6/21/12, 7/4/12, 7/26/12, http://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment