Thursday, April 6, 2017

Blog Post 5:Subjectivation in Social Media

Foucault’s concept of subjectivation refers to one’s construction of their own identity. Although Foucault coined this concept long before the creation of the internet and social media, subjectivation directly relates to the way many people use social media in our society today. The content we share on our various profiles shape the way people view us. We as individuals, whether we realize it or not, construct our identities on the internet based on what we want people to see. Rayner highlights 3 simple rules on how to operate on social media, “share only what you love or what resonates with you, pay attention to the feedback you receive from the crowd and modify your posts accordingly, don’t stray too far from the truth. Be creative but don’t be phoney.” I believe that these rules represent how many individuals tend to use social media, including myself. At the moment I only use two social media platforms, Twitter and Tumblr, simply because they allow me to share and communicate what I want in the best way possible. As a person who admires art and design, I use my Tumblr as a visual representation of my interests. I use one Tumblr account to post my graphic design work, and an additional account that I refer to as my mood board, to reblog images of things I like, ranging from visual art, music, architecture, cars, and much more. My Twitter on the other hand is used to communicate my thoughts and ideas through text and visual representation, often discussing with my followers about sports, music, social issues and other topics. I also use Twitter to retweet anything I find interesting. Despite not making my social media accounts too personal, I have made countless friends and acquaintances, and gained plenty of followers on Tumblr and Twitter just by posting and sharing things that interest me.

What I would share:

Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Becomes Rapper's Eighth Album to Go Platinum











Rayner, Tim. "Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon." Philosophy for Change. N.p., 11 Nov. 2012. Web. 05 Apr. 2017

Lamarre, Carl. "Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Becomes Rapper's Eighth Album to Go Platinum." Billboard. N.p., 4 Apr. 2017. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.

Watkins, Calvin. "Rockets say James Harden should be MVP -- and there's no debate." ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures, 06 Apr. 2017. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment