Thursday, April 6, 2017

R5: Is Social Media a Reflection of Our True Identity?

Brittany Freeman
MCS 355

R5: Is Social Media a Reflection of Our True Identity?

To me subjectivation, a term created by Michel Foucault, discusses how we share our own identity through information we put out to others, and how that reflection of ourselves is shaped by others. We pick and choose to show different aspects of our personality and ideas online and in person in order to maintain the image others have of us. A quote from Tim Rayner’s blog post “Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopicon” that I thought was important stated, “Just as actors on stage know that they are being watched by the audience and tailor their behaviour to find the best effect, effective use of social media implies selecting and framing content with a view to pleasing and/or impressing a certain crowd” (Rayner). When we put out information or posts on social media, that is a reflection of who we are, and because we know others are going to see it and read that information, we become restricted within our social media identity, and construct a different reality that is shaped by what we think others want to see. 
               When I use my social media accounts such as Twitter and Facebook, I am always aware of what others might think and feel about what I am putting out online. Typically, I share things that are funny, articles that I believe are important to bring awareness to, or more personal things like a photo from a trip I took. I usually post minimally on social media, but when I do I am still concerned about what others might say or think about me when they look at it. This is why I draw a line between the articles I would consider sharing on social media, and articles that I wouldn’t dare to ever post. I believe that while we are encouraged to be ourselves our entire lives, we are also very aware of other people’s feelings towards us, which changes the way and what we share with others. This is reflected within social media as it impacts our social identity. Social media is a major way we share information and connect with others, each of our social media profiles are a reflection of ourselves, but with subjectivation, what we choose post can be influenced by the audience we know is watching. 

Two articles I would share are…
“How You Can Help Save The Bees-Even in the Winter”
“29 Instagram-Worthy Places to Travel”
The reason why these articles are something I would share is because they reflect my identity through the subjects that interest me. As I said before, I really don't post often on social media, but when I do I like to post about positive topics about things I like, in this case how people can help the environment and a listical post about beautiful places to travel. I realize that I share more of my interests and hobbies rather than my strong opinions on big topics, because I don't like confrontation within social media, and I know that sharing opinions online can often lead to negativity and backlash from others. These are also topics that I feel others could positively benefit from. 


Two articles I wouldn’t share are
“BeyoncĂ© Is Reportedly The Top Choice To Play Nala In The Live-Action Remake Of "The Lion King"
“Trump Weighs Infrastructure Bill but Keeps New York Up in the Air”
 I wouldn't share either of these articles because they are about two things that can cause a lot of controversy and negativity, celebrity gossip and politics. Although I believe politics are important to keep up with, I wouldn't share the second political article because I am very tired of seeing Trump's name over my timeline. I also know that if I posted an article about Trump, that peoples idea of me would most likely change, and it doesn't look good. I have my own ideas and opinions, but am very hesitant to post anything political because I don't want to draw in arguments and negative comments. As for celebrity gossip, I personally just don't think it is important to share with others because no one can truly benefit from it, even though I am a huge fan of Beyonce and find this article interesting. I also feel that a lot of people think news about celebrities isn't really considered news, and is stupid to get caught up in, so if I were to share this post and be excited about it, I would feel slightly embarrassed. 

Thinking about what I choose to post and not to post on social media really goes to show that what I choose to share is heavily influenced by who is viewing the information- my friends, family, colleagues and general audience on my social media outlets. 

Sources:
Rayner, Tim, “Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon (pt.1), I Tweet, Therefore I Become (pt. 2), and The Call of the Crowd (pt. 3),” Philosophy for Change, 6/21/12, 7/4/12, 7/26/12. Accessed April 5, 2017. https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/  

Mosbergen, Dominique. “How You Can Help Save The Bees-Even in the Winter.” The Huffington Post. November 25, 2016. Accessed April 5, 2017. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/save-the-bees_us_58369cece4b09b6056003837  

Harris, Kristin. “29 Instagram-Worthy Places to Travel.” Buzzfeed. November 3, 2016. Accessed April 5, 2017. https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinharris/the-most-instagrammable-places-to-travel?utm_term=.py9yrVNE3#.urxgNXGn8

Blackmon, Michael. “BeyoncĂ© Is Reportedly The Top Choice To Play Nala In The Live-Action Remake Of "The Lion King"’ Buzzfeed. March 31, 2017. Accessed April 5, 2017. https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/beyonce-might-be-the-queen-of-pride-rock?utm_term=.vu0wYBmQo#.nhXp5V0ej

Thrush, Glenn. “Trump Weighs Infrastructure Bill but Keeps New York Up in the Air.” The New York Times. April 5, 2017. Accessed April 5, 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/us/politics/donald-trump-infrastructure-bill.html?_r=0 


No comments:

Post a Comment