Wednesday, April 5, 2017

R5: Subjectivation & Social Media: Who Am I?



Subjectivation & Social Media: Who am I?


Although Foucault was not around to see the development of the Internet and social media, the term he coined has more meaning in today’s society than when Foucault was alive.  This term is known as ‘subjectivation.’  When Foucault coined the term ‘subjectivation’, he used it to describe the construction of identity.  ‘Subjectivation’ is the way in which an individual is influenced by a wide variety of factors, which help mold or shape the identity of that person.


‘Subjectivation’ is directly related to social media. According to Rayner, social media is not only a “vehicle for identity-formation” it is also a “vehicle for creative self-development” (Rayner).  Social media is all about sharing.  The things that you choose to share, or not share, define who you are as a person.  Even if you choose to comment on something that your friend shared, you are still leaving your mark by making a statement that you agree with this link or the points stated in the post.  Whenever you are on social media, everything you post, like, comment, or share can be seen by anyone.  Having such a  giant audience on the Internet will force you to monitor the things you do and don’t share based on how you want to be perceived.


In Rayner’s blog posts, he describes how social media is a “vehicle for creative self-development” (Rayner).  Creative self-development occurs when a user posts an idea in order to make their audience perceive them a certain way.  For instance, creative self-development may occur when you share an article about helping out the poor, even though you have never actually done this in real life.  This may cause people on social media to view you as a helping, giving person, which is how you want them to  be perceived  even though it may be the real you.  On the contrary,  the post may cause you to go out and do something to help out the poor in order to fulfill the persona you portray yourself to be online.  Rayner argues that “Subjectivation is not oppressive” rather is is a sort of “unnatural self-consciousness” (Rayner).

Source:http://www.chymfm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2016/04/question-mark-face-593x315.jpg
In terms of my identity on social media, I would say I definitely have different personas on each social media.  For instance, I might reblog a post on Tumblr that I would never want to say on Twitter or Facebook.  Also,  I might retweet a Tweet on Twitter which might be too explicit or vulgar to post on Facebook, a site which my family members are also on.  The articles I share on Facebook are “safe” posts, which I am comfortable with family and co-workers viewing.  However, the things I share/post on Twitter or Tumblr are more personal.  For instance, on my Tumblr page I make sure not to follow anybody who knows me personally, because it is more of a personal blog for me, in which I don’t want peers or friends to view.  On Facebook, I don’t share much, I usually only like or save things for my personal use.  However, if i were to share certain “safe” articles, they would probably be about food or current events that are directly affecting me.  For instance, I would share this article, which discusses simple ways to eat healthy.  I love to eat and finding ways to eat more healthy food is something I am trying to do and would be comfortable with sharing. I would also share this article about the 10 best contemporary art galleries in DC. I enjoy going to museums, and especially going to D.C., so this is something I would definitely share on my social media.



On the other hand, I don’t like to reveal personal things about myself on social media.  I prefer to keep my opinions silent or hidden, for fear of judgement or rejection. I probably would not share this article about musicians and stage fright. Piano is a big part of my life but I don’t really talk about it much.  It is something that I prefer to keep to myself because it is an activity I like to do alone.  I have always had issues with stage fright and have not performed in-front of a crowd since high school. Similarly along these lines, I consider myself an introvert and get very nervous about speaking in-front of people.  Even if it’s just for a small class, I will always get nervous. I would not be comfortable sharing this article about how to overcome your fear of public speaking. I would not typically share this on social media because it is a personal fact and something I don’t like many people to know.

I agree with Rayner in his assessment of social media as a vehicle for developing and forming your individual identity.  I am very conscious of what I post on each of my social media pages.  I monitor what things I post/like on each social  platform, according to how much I need to censor myself.  Social media has not only shaped who I am but also caused me to look more into myself and my beliefs.


Sources:
Carroll, Aaron E. “Simple Rules for Healthy Eating.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 20 Apr.
2015. Web. 05 Apr. 2017.<https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/upshot/simple-rules-for-healthy-eating.html>

Kageyama, Noa. “A Few Things Every Musician Ought to Know About Stage Fright.” The Bulletproof


Rayner, Tim. “Foucault and Social Media: Life in a Virtual Panopticon (pt. 1), I Tweet, Therefore I Become
(pt. 2), and The Call of the Crowd (pt. 3),” Philosophy for Change. Wordpress, 11 Nov. 2012.
Web. 05. Apr. 2017. <http://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/>

Scaldaferri, Graziano. “The 10 Best Contemporary Art Spaces in Washington DC.” Culture Trip. N.p.,

Tracy, Brian. “27 Useful Tips to Overcome Your Fear of Public Speaking.” Brian Tracy’s Self Improvement
& Professional Development Blog. N.p., 09 Mar. 2017. Web. 05 Apr. 2017. <http://www.briantracy.com/blog/public-speaking/27-useful-tips-to-overcome-your-fear-of-public-speaking/>

No comments:

Post a Comment