Thursday, April 6, 2017

R5: The Way You Portray Yourself Matters

I understand subjectivation to be the way we publicly formulate our identity. We want to share particular viewpoints and opinions online to appeal to a particular crowd, while also keeping certain ideas private to ourselves or a select few people. We are far more likely to pick and choose what we say to others in person and share with others online in order to maintain a certain view in the eyes of others. As Tim Rayner says, “effective use of social media implies selecting and framing content with a view to pleasing and/or impressing a certain crowd.” He also mentions that we are not always aware that we are doing this. Either way, the best way we please a crowd is by showing select parts of ourselves to others.

I don’t really use social media much at all to be totally honest. I don’t really have a particular reason for not partaking in it, I just prefer keeping in touch with people in different ways. When I do share things they are exclusively with my close friends or relatives, and typically I don’t really “share” them, I just talk about them. Usually the topics involve recent things in our lives, video games, funny memes, etc. I probably wouldn’t share any of what we talk about with a larger audience because none of it would apply to someone else. For example, I will be talking to my cousins soon about how disappointed I am in a recent comment Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, had about the new Project Scorpio. I also will talk about  I’m also going to be talking about how excited I am that Boruto, a new anime that follows up Naruto, just released its first episode yesterday. These are things that the select people I talk to would be interested in, but if I were to share my thoughts about them publicly on Facebook no one would care and I’m sure a decent amount of people would think I’m weird.

If I were to share something publicly it would probably be something that more people would be interested in or accepting of. Perhaps I would share something relating to Star Wars Episode VIII, in this case the hype for Luke Skywalker reuniting with other major characters after such a long time. Star Wars is something that a lot of people enjoy and can get excited about, so I’d be very comfortable jumping on that bandwagon, especially since I’ve been a fan of the series and the Expanded Universe for a very long time. I would also feel comfortable sharing the new space travel achievement of reusing a booster. Not everyone is interested in space, but the majority of people would be more understanding of an interest in space than of an interest in anime.

References

Rayner, Tim. "Foucault and social media: life in a virtual panopticon." Philosophy for change. November 11, 2012. Accessed April 05, 2017. https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/foucault-and-social-media-life-in-a-virtual-panopticon/.

Roberts, Joe. "Xbox boss strongly hints Project Scorpio won't be an upgradable console." TrustedReviews. April 03, 2017. Accessed April 05, 2017. http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-boss-strongly-hints-project-scorpio-won-t-be-an-upgradable-console.

Peters, Megan. "New Naruto Anime Debuts Boruto's Strange [SPOILER]." Anime. April 05, 2017. Accessed April 06, 2017. http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/04/05/boruto-naruto-next-generations-eye-tenseigan/.

Reilly, Nicholas. "Star Wars 'leak' reveals Luke Skywalker's reunion with Chewbacca and R2-D2." Metro. April 03, 2017. Accessed April 05, 2017. http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/03/star-wars-leak-reveals-luke-skywalkers-emotional-reunion-with-chewbacca-and-r2-d2-6551832/.

Chang, Kenneth. "Recycled Rockets Could Drop Costs, Speed Space Travel." The New York Times. March 30, 2017. Accessed April 05, 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/science/space-x-reuseable-rockets-launch.html?_r=0.


No comments:

Post a Comment