Thursday, April 6, 2017

R5: Who the Hell am I?

Focault describes Subjectivation as the construction of the individual subject. When looking at this concept it gives me the thought of someone building their personal identity, and where they look in order to give people ideas about who they are deeper than on the surface level of their life. Allow me to demonstrate using my life. When people look at me the first thing that they think of is "that dude is a lumberjack, or he fixes computers" (everyone I have ever met). Now to be fair, I am a computer IT minor, and I also chop trees down and split the wood for some extra cash and a solid workout. But I don't tell people that when I meet them, it's just how I look and also what I post online. On a regular basis I post on my Facebook page about a new industry that I am learning about and want to work in one day, namely UI and UX.


The above article linked here is all about how redesigns on the front end are not good in this authors opinion. This article helped me continue gain an understanding of what it is I might want to do with my life when I graduate and move on to the workforce. I also shared this across all of my media platforms because I wanted some of my friends who also work or want to work in design to see what the author had to say. Underneath the layer of fake designs that are mentioned throughout it, is the constant call for everyone to be individuals and to act creatively in anything that they are doing. This is something that I preach and hope to display in the photography that I post, and the movies that I make. 

In addition to the creative side of my life, I turn to Medium again in order to decide on a second article which helps me to identify who I am, an organized and thoroughly thought out individual. Whenever I start a new project I use some method or another of organizing what the color schemes are doing to be, and this helps to further all of my other work that I do in that project. However it was not until I found this article, that  I learned of a new tool which allowed me to put colors together and look at them before I even start the project. 


This tool found at coolors.co  has helped me to cut back time wasted on working on design projects so that I can see what everything will look like before I put it into illustrator, and what the code is in order to quickly do what needs doing. This article was shared on my Facebook page in order to again help my designer friends but also to show that I am organized. That this article helped me to determine what my process would be for starting a new project. 

An example of something that defines what I am that I do not share as openly is my work with the Boy Scouts of America. I volunteer as a marketing director for several of their programs locally and nationally, and through this I have developed an identity as someone who is continually changing the forefront of how we are marketing the programs across the country. This blog post on one of the national pages is one which I had not thought of but have started researching in the local market. The post talks about getting assistance from so-called "mommy blogs" in order to help promote the programs to other people who may or may not have known that some of the older youth programs that the BSA offers exist. 

Lastly a piece of my identity that I do not share as often on social media is my love of playing music and musical theater. The passion and strength that comes from someone who is playing an instrument is unmatched in any form of expression. This article from Minnesota talks about a theater being torn down even though the local town didn't want it to be. The arts and how they affect our human behavior is so important and without them we are nothing more than dust in the wind.



Works Cited


http://kstp.com/news/terrace-theatre-demolition-historic-hy-vee-robbinsdale-construction/4279459/


http://scoutingwire.org/how-to-engage-local-bloggers-to-tell-the-story-of-scouting/

https://medium.com/ux-power-tools/a-step-by-step-guide-for-starting-a-new-app-design-project-in-sketch-469df0f24af8

https://medium.com/pixelpoint/why-i-hate-your-fake-redesign-177a626d7f95

No comments:

Post a Comment