Tuesday, April 25, 2017

R6: Connecting with Author Stephanie Danler


In the article, "To See and Be Seen: Celebrity Practice on Twitter Convergence",we begin to think of who we follow and interact with on Twitter as being authentic or inauthentic (if run by someone else) and it effects our relationship with said celebrity. Determining whether readers are watching an 'authentic' individual or a performed 'celebrity' persona is not entirely the point; it is the uncertainty that creates pleasure for the celebrity-watcher on Twitter(144, Boyd and Marwick) Now I realize the authors don't agree that it matters, but I disagree, one of the reasons I chose Stephanie Danler is because of her authenticity, her strategy of writing, her love of food and my love of food.  I'm a voracious reader and so I make sure to check her social media to see what I should consume next.






Stephanie Danler, author of SweetBitter is an avid user of Twitter. Since the success of her first novel she has been sharing her book recommendations including fiction, non-fiction and poetry as her favorite go to's. With the fans of her books they are able to see exactly when she will be visiting a city near them, not through her website necessarily but through her Twitter. She takes pictures of each event and posts it to Twitter. She has in some way created her own book club. A book club that knows all the best places to eat in New York City.


Here is Stephanie giving an update on where she will be speaking about SweetBitter as she continues her tour around several countries.



For me personally, I love reading Joan Didion's work, she's one of my favorite authors and for many readers they may not follow an author but for me gives me a connection to their thoughts and processes.
The SweetBitter Book Tour has been exciting to follow, not only has she been traveling the globe but she has been to writer retreats and interviewed on some of my favorite podcast.. like Lit Up which is all about the literature world. She's in the middle of writing another novel and she is reading this much and I always complain about having no time to read---I haven't MADE time apparently.



Cited

Danler, Stephanie (smdanler). "Tonight, 4/21 @politicalprose On CT Ave NW, Washington DC 7pm"  April 21 2017, Tweet.
Danler, Stephanie (smdanler). "Overly ambitious for a long weekend @NorCal_Writers", March 16 2017, Tweet.
Marwick, A., and D. Boyd. "To See and Be Seen: Celebrity Practice on Twitter." Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies 17.2 (2011): 139-58. Web. 23 Apr. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment