Tuesday, May 2, 2017

R7: Selfies

In Jette Kofoed and Malene Charolette Larsen's essay, "A snap of Intimacy" they talk about "selfie-culture" and the positive and negative impacts it has on social media. Personally, I always viewed selfies as a reflection of the way we interpret or want to interpret ourselves. By this I mean, selfies are a way to practice self-love and confidence. I personally grew my confidence through taking selfies, because I used to not like the way I looked, especially my hair. After looking at other black women who took selfies that showed their love for their hair and their features, I learned to love my hair and skin.


           

The reason I chose this selfie is because I had just recently cut my hair (myself) and felt proud of how it turned out. I also loved how prominent my curls were in this picture. In addition, I really liked how my makeup turned out, because it was a new style that looked better than I thought it would. I love this selfie because I finally was able to fully love my hair and my curl pattern.







This selfie was taken the week that I decided to cut off all my hair.
For me, chopping my hair off was a huge life choice for me. This was because, I had recently recovered from breaking my back. After my recovery, I felt as though I could do anything. Thus, I challenged myself to cut my hair. After taking this selfie, I had received positive feedback from friends and family, which gave me the strength to believe that I made to the right decision.


  This is one of my favorite selfies, because it shows my love for video games, it also sparked many video game-based conversations. Another reason that I chose this selfie was because I had straightened my hair. I usually am not one to straighten my hair due to my love for my curly hair and my lack of patience for the time it takes to achieve this look. Thus, whenever I do straighten my hair, I tend to take multiple selfies.

No comments:

Post a Comment