Tuesday, May 2, 2017

R7: Selfie Assignment

Not only was I just flat out opposed to taking selfies for a long time but I was also opposed to calling them selfies. I personally thought there must have been better names to describe pictures that somebody takes of themselves. But by the time many years had passed, I finally accepted I had lost the battle and gave into the name. I even found myself taking selfies in rare occasions but only when it made sense. If I didn't have someone to hold the camera and I wanted to be in the picture, that’s usually one I would take selfies. I would never waste a moment like an awesome sunset or a city skyline on a selfie just because moments like that feel more rare and I don't want it to be cheapened by something like a selfie.

The 3 selfies I chose show each tell a little bit about me. How much I love to travel to new and different places. How I try to experience things that most people will not. And how I try to show the exciting moments of my life as opposed to the moments where I am just staying inside and watching Netflix. This may make other people see my life as a non-stop adventure ride but parts can be quite boring. But it is a life that I aim for. I don't want my life to be spent standing still and seeing these different experiences almost motivates me as well.

The first selfie in this post was from the first time I went to Boston. I had planned a pretty spontaneous trip by myself to Boston and it just so happened to be St. Patricks Day. This is somewhat significant as I am half Irish and it also shows that I have a love for the cities during times of festivities.


The second photo is during January of 2016 when “Snowzilla” was happening on UMBC’s campus. I had already moved back to my apartment in Walker Avenue and when the snow was at it’s heaviest, I decided to go film some of the snow at night as it was a big deal that we were getting so much. You can see from the photo that I was not enjoying the cold but I was still determined enough to be a part of this event.



And finally, another event that I was determined to be a part of was the New York New Year’s Eve Celebration in Times Square. This had been my third year in a row attending but this year I had not only managed to get onto TV a few more times but I was also fortunate enough to take a selfie with the host of the show Ryan Seacrest. This shows the part of me that is just crazy enough to do things that require waiting forever but eventually they just end up working. To some degree, it could be said that this was done for the photo op but when people are talking to A-List and B-List celebrities, it usually is.


No comments:

Post a Comment