Monday, May 1, 2017

R7: My selfies



Nowadays, it is a ‘trend’ to take a selfie to primarily use on a social networking site. This makes people to connect to their friends in visual ways. Selfies are ways to genuinely express oneself, build oneself-image and to get attention from others. However, the selfies do not produce all of the aspects of our identity.
Usually, I do not take a lot of selfies of myself. I take selfies whenever I have kept the same profile picture of my social media sites for a long time (for many months or a year). Whenever I decide to change them, I choose a best day when my hair and make ups have come out well to take selfies. After spending time and taking many selfies, I choose the best selfie that I think have produced a sense of my identity. I want others to see me just like my selfie. I show smiles to represent myself as a friendly person with a positive energy. I choose to use a filter that brightens up the image. If my parents have seen my before and after selfies, they would not care about the types of filter I have used. They will just like the ‘real’ me in the selfies.
It is hard to tell my real identity by just looking at selfies. My origin, ethnicity, nationality or socio-economic status is hard to classify. However, my selfies produce some aspects of my identity such as race, gender, and cultural identity. The selfie with my family will definitely identify that I am a young Asian woman. Yet, only those who know me will know that my nationality is Korea. Also, they will know that I was born and had lived in Paraguay (South America). In terms of cultural identity, taking selfies with filters will connect me to the current culture. Also, the use of different app such as the one I used, SNOW will make myself to join a group that use the same app and filters. 





No comments:

Post a Comment