Tuesday, May 2, 2017

R7 Self-me

To begin let me just say that I clearly do not take enough selfies. Most of the images that I have are expressions of my identity through other images. so finding ways that I express myself through self images is difficult. The first selfie I chose is this one.


There was a demonstration in the Breezeway of Sikh religion and the process of wearing a turban. I am constantly searching for the rational behind other people's beliefs especially when it comes to a relationship with god. In this image you can clearly see me making an attempt at understanding what wearing a turban is like. My friend Julie and I both had them wrap our heads when we were working with our Fraternity to raise money for art programs in South America. I found it interesting that the turban was not a gender based garment, in many religions certain genders must wear certain coverings. but from what I saw and understood everyone wore the same thing.

In this selfie, I am at the Army Navy game that was hosted in Baltimore MD. I feel this selfie shows my socio-economic status in the world, as the game was expensive and not only did I get to go. But the 2 kids with me and my uncle were able to go. We all could afford to go to this game and not have to worry about the cost. my status in the world has me at such a place where I am able to go to sporting events as I see fit which is not the case for many people.

This final selfie was taken at a Scouting event that I worked as a photographer. I was forced to take this selfie so that I could be in "at least one picture". As I look at this picture I see my gender and affinity group come out. I work with Scouting at all levels from the youngest cubs to the co-ed older youth programs that go till the age of 21. And I have to identify as a male within the groups. My gender identity is what helps to keep everyone safe and helps to avoid any issues with harassment.

These three selfies help to show who I am as a person. A person who is constantly searching for religious ideas, a sports loving person with higher socio-economic class, and lastly a male Scout that works to help people as much as possible.

The selfies here also do something else though. They offer only one view of my life, I only take selfies when things are going well in my life. But I suffer from a horrible depression, something that I have to work with every day of my life. These selfies offer only a partial view of the truth because I just don't take pictures of myself when I am at my worst.

This is important also because this is how most people see me on a regular basis they see me as someone that is always happy, and someone that has never had a struggle in their life. But the whole truth is very different. Where I grew up in Delaware and the circumstances of my growing up and how I got to where I am now are far from the reality that my selfies and other images seem to portray of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment