Thursday, March 30, 2017

R4: Postmodernism and Identity


                                       

          I see postmodernism as the beliefs and emotions humans have when interacting with technology and how these interactions shape us as individuals and as a species entirely. For instance, humans have developed a sort of attachment to inanimate objects like phones, computers, and various social media accounts. When in reality, there should be no real reason as to why humans develop bonds with things incapable of reciprocating emotions or thoughts. I have had my own personal example of this type of bond, in which a few years ago I had to undergo a series of medical treatments for the duration of eight months. In a majority of these procedures, I was not allowed to have anyone in the room (besides the doctors and nurses). I was, however, allowed to keep my phone with me. In these instances, I would go on different social media applications to communicate with friends and family. Although they were not physically present in the room with me, my phone gave me the opportunity to feel as if they were. Due to this I developed an attachment to my phone, because to me, having my phone was equivalent to having my friends and family with me.


        
              Though this example may be on the more extreme side of the spectrum, it does illustrate the depth in which people are able to create bonds with technology. Other examples may include online dating, email, texting, etc. In Sherry Turkle’s essay titled, “Aspects of Self”, she mentions how people also tend to develop a set of different identities when interacting with others online and on social media. This is because the internet allows people a space to explore themselves and recreate themselves into a different person to fit their own ideas of how they should be or wish to be. Turkle explains that, “Many more people experience identity as a set of roles that can be mixed and matched, whose diverse demands need to be negotiated” (Turkle 180).



Sources: Turkle, Sherry, “Aspects of the Self”, Simon and Schuster, New York, NY, 1997. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment