Thursday, March 30, 2017

Postmodernism

Postmodernism is taking the original ideals of the world, challenging them with new ways of going about things in order to establish different sets of ideals. In modern time the way of doing things was set at a standard of way in which were very attainable by all however, postmodernism went in opposition to these ways. The original ways in which things were done are now changed, distorted, and forever different.  What was once the only way has now hundreds of thousands of ways of getting a result. The internet possess the ability to have no boundaries creating change at an ever changing rate promoting postmodernism to occur as new ways are continuously challenged and different ways are evolving. Simulation on the internet occur which makes it possible for everything to be copied and copied perfectly without a limit.


In the internet possess the possibility to transform your reality into something it is not, when online dating is brought to the forefront often time truths are twisted. “I didn’t exactly lie to him about anything specific, but I feel very different online. I am a lot more outgoing, less inhibited. I would say I feel more like myself. But that a contradiction. I feel more like who I wish I was. I’m just hoping that face-to-face I can find a way to spend some time being the online me.”(Turkle) Through online dating the truth of who we are feels that it comes out however this is a misconception because often times who we are is not who we say we are online. Modern times would never allow for something as this to transpire and being that postmodern time allow for these situations to not only occur but more often than not expand to a larger conversation of a false reality.


Turkle, Sherry, "Aspects of the Self" from Life on the Screen Simon & Schuster, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment